Xbox One vs PS4

General discussions.
Fulbert
Site Admin

Xbox One vs PS4

Postby Fulbert » 22 May 2013, 17:33

So with a day to review the hardware details, it seems that Sony will have a slight lead in graphics power. The rest of the systems hardware is very similar, though some of it's still a little guess work as Sony has yet to detail 100% of it. I think the biggest news is how similar the systems will end up being, same CPU tech, same graphics tech, just a little more power in the PS4. Should make a lot less of a deal for developers to target performance across the two systems when porting titles. I think the TV overlay stuff and video/voice stuff via Skype will be an interesting addition, Sony still has a long way to go on their online features.

http://anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4

-Fulbert

Aizen

Re: Xbox One vs PS4

Postby Aizen » 24 May 2013, 19:51

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a Playstation 4. Not when it's released like I did a Playstation 3. I'll be waiting on games I'll be wanting to actually play (That may not even come out.) I'm really picky, but most likely they'll be Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid games. Perhaps games like Resident Evil and The Last of Us too.

Vheissu

Postby Vheissu » 25 May 2013, 05:51

I want to spend $500 on a netflix box. YOOOHOOO!!

Fulbert
Site Admin

Postby Fulbert » 07 Jun 2013, 11:58

So after some more details have been released related to the Xbox's 24hr phone home needs it seems clear to me that I'd never want a One. First thing that comes to mind is the insane stuff that publishers for their online titles are already performing where once a game is 2-3 years old they stop running their auth servers and the game more or less stops working. This is a terrible idea for a console. When the Xbox Two comes along, how long do you think it will be before Microsoft stops supporting their auth servers for the One and it becomes a door stop? Or what if they start to cut back the services that are unlocked with the 24hr check in? And lastly, since they are saying that the 24hr checkin will also require that any newly published system updates or patches are installed before the system can be used, how long before they screw something up and you're stuck having to patch and the patch breaks something you use?

Not that Sony is immune to this one, but at least you can ignore the updates and just use the built in stuff. With Sony they have long been screwing their users into patching with nagging and limiting what 3rd party content you can use before patching, but this is a whole new level. Congrats, it's patch Tuesday for the One and now to turn on your system you need to wait to download 400MB of patches and let it chew on them for 20 minutes before you can watch some TV or play a game (it does play games, right?). That'd take Fury a week just to download!

The publishers getting a say in if you are allowed to use and how much you'll have to pay to play a used game is a load of crap also. The whole idea is a giant middle finger to the first sale doctrine, and it's going to be an ugly one for people. I can only hope that Sony does not fall in on this one, I assume if they do that every publisher will take the opportunity to screw their customers a second time if they ever sell their games.

-Fulbert

Return to “General”