Sony PS4 hardware details

General discussions.
Fulbert
Site Admin

Sony PS4 hardware details

Postby Fulbert » 21 Feb 2013, 13:19

We still have no photo of the console itself, but the hardware details are getting more clear. x86 is in, but Intel is out and it's AMD. Single chip CPU/GPU with shared RAM, Blu-Ray, ethernet, wifi, USB, a harddrive etc. Not clear if the camera thing is packed in or will be extra, but they are also talking it up as a pretty standard offering so I imagine it will be packed in with at least one of the bundle options.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4011496/playstation-4-tech-specs-revealed-amd-jaguar-cpu-faster-blu-ray-720p/in/3774815

Still no price details. Some of the video footage from the game demos looks pretty. Nothing revolutionary, but it at least looks comparable to high end PC graphics now. No announcement if they are going to have support for 4k or UltraHD resolutions that are coming along, but it does at least look pretty powerful compared to last gen systems.

-Fulbert

Calis

Re: Sony PS4 hardware details

Postby Calis » 21 Feb 2013, 13:53

Beat Microsoft this time might be switching from my Xbox. I wonder how fast the processor actually is?

Nehalim

Postby Nehalim » 21 Feb 2013, 18:32

Fulbert wrote:but Intel is out and it's AMD.

Pass.

Naw, for real though. I'm disappointed we didn't get much more information on the hardware, or even a picture of it, but I did like some of the demos shown. I do see a lot of people saying it still comes nowhere close with gaming PCs, but it doesn't look too far off. I'm sure it will certainly blow any PC out of the water in the 400-500 dollar range.

I'm not going to buy one, but I'm excited about it. I hope to see game developers push further now, instead of holding back just so their games can run on the archaic PS3/X360. Then with luck, the improvements in game design will spill over to PC ports.

Also fuck social integration. I don't want to share high scores on facebook.

Fulbert
Site Admin

Postby Fulbert » 22 Feb 2013, 11:53

I feel a lot like I did when the PS3 came out. I'll eventually get the 4 but there is nothing making me really want it. If nothing else it will be nice as a Blu-Ray and media playback device again with the very occasional game to be played.

Maybe gen-# will really like the social integration, I agree, fuck that.

-Fulbert

Return to “General”